Monday, December 27, 2010

WHAT I WAS GOING TO MAKE YOU FOR CHRISTMAS

You may or may not have noticed but I didn't get any of you Bastards anything for Christmas. Since there wasn't a big pile of gifts outside my front door on December 25th, I'm not feeling so bad about my Scroogeness. But it's the thought that counts, right? Well I was thinking of making tubular tires for all of you, but just didn't get around to it - though if I start right now t I just maybe ought to get around to it by something like 2015.

Here are a couple of fascinating, if by fascinating you mean boring videos showing how hand-made tubular tires are made. The first one (sorry about all the Belgian jammering) is about how Dugast tires are made. The last one if how Challenge tires are made. If you have the time to watch both I think you'll be amazed, as I was, that our tubular tires don't cost something like $750.00 a piece, with all the work that goes into them - even in the slightly more automated Challenge process. You'll notice in the Challenge video that some of the factory foot wear is flip-flops with pink kitten socks. I think that is because those tires are made in Thailand and safety regulations appear to be a little more relaxed than in the U.S. Let's hope there are steel toes behind those cute little kitten whiskers.



No comments:

Post a Comment