Monday, September 12, 2011

SEASON CROSS OPENER OR APPETIZER? WEEK ONE CROSS REPORT

TAILWIND CROSS CLINIC AND PRACTICE RACE


Great practice and training race at Waterford Raceway put on by the good people at Tailwind. Here's just a little of the action ... practicing the other side of the Orange Crush. Wheeeeeew! Some people may think that flyovers are passe, but let me tell you the newbies loved that damn thing.

Of course going down was a gas, but going up was all about getting gassed.



Lots of people on hand for the clinic, and the race. Probably 80 altogether. I think the clinic had three different groups.



Did I mention the awesome course? Yeah, it was awesome, one of the best yet in the Waterford venue, I think - fast, fun, and challenging - created once again by the master of course design - Joe Brown. I think he's smiling at his handy work.



Great instructor, and great racers, Anne Schwartz looks like she got some great form this year.


Got a lot of good practice in, felt good in the practice races and took home a little prize.


A sunburn! Getting a sunburn at a cyclocross race, even if it's just for practice is wrong!

KIM THOMAS RACES AT NITTANY CROSS

Meanwhile Kim Thomas was out racing Nittany Cross in some hell-hole place called Pennsylvania, and playing with the big kids - in some pretty nasty mud. Kim was going against some of the top women in the world, and holding her own. Well done Kim! 

While I don't have and photos of Kim in the mud, here's a fuzzy photo of some of the women running through the slop, and a video of the men killing it over the barriers.





KISSCROSS OPENER AT PLASTER CREEK

After all that it was back home again for the KISSCROSS opener at Plaster Creek. The day started cool (after getting fried at Waterford I was looking forward to some cooler temps, but it flared back up again and super-hot by the time that the A's rolled. Lots of fun, lots of people and a crazy course that was fun to ride. My only comment is that if that's the last Spiral of Death I ever have to do, I'm cool.

While I don't have any photographs of the event, you can check out Julie McGraw Photography for some sweet shots of the event. Also Jack Kunnen, our resident KISSCROSS pro photographer has photo uploading from Plaster Creek as I type this.

Also a tip of the cap to Rick Plite for the American flag on the finishing line, and a moment of silence in rememberance of 9.11 before the start. Well done Rick.

NEXT WEEK

Now that the season is on it's getting organized for the next week of racing at the Double Cross in Waterford, or in Chicago. No matter what, I'm going to need more tires and wheels. Here's one of my "wrenches" picking out some good ones for week two. I suggested the ones with tread and now holes.


CROSS VEGAS REPORT?????

Hopefully we'll have a report from some of our Bastardly correspondents out in Cross Vegas. Cyclocross Magazine will also be offering a live feed of the race. I'll put up a link here, so stay tuned.

See you all tomorrow for Single Speed Tuesday - I have more rules and regulations for the ride, which I'm sure no one will care about. Right now, it's no pumps, just Co2, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment