Thursday, October 25, 2012

NO RAIN TONIGHT! IT'S OKAY TO RIDE! PLUS MONSTER WARS AND MORE!




Alone at last. A warm rain and an empty parking lot was the backdrop for Tuesday's ride.

On Tuesday I figured it would safe to revive the Crazy Bastard Ride for one day before the ICEMAN GOETH, knowing that rain is one of the most dreaded enemies of any serious ICEMAN would-be-racer-in-training, and that more than likely nobody would show up (I was right, almost). Like super-stinky European Tour riders of old, that believed showering would fill your legs with water and slow you down, riding in rain, even warm rain as it was on Tuesday, could wash away any ICEMAN fitness you had already gained through running stop signs at night - and that as a result, washed cleaned of any fitness you had built-up, you would not only finish over the GOLDEN TWO HOUR time limit you had set for yourself this year, and for the last ten years running, but that you would probably come in something like 4,237 which never makes for a good story at the bar for the rest of the winter when you'll be doing more talking about biking, than biking.

"My ICEMAN time was 1:59:59 and I came in 3,759, but I was 146 in my age group. What did you do? Your usual pathetic 2:11:36,  4,237 overall and 534 in your age group? Let me shoot you in your stupid green face and end the suffering, okay?"


Some came pumped to ride in the rain on Tuesday. But maybe he should be letting air out to maximize traction in the mud. Actually, with all the rain the mud was minimal.

So it was that two-hardy-souls, or too-fool-hardy-souls showed up for a ride, along with my foolish self. Big Mac (Adam McIntyre) and Harrison Webb,  were it. 


We did over an hour and half, and put in some good miles. There was a strong downpour at the end, but it was warm and the extra rain cleaned the bikes up - no need to break out the bike washers.


Here you can see the effects of the ride on Harrison. He started to literally change before our eyes as he was soaked through in the rain. A few moments after this was taken, he looked like this ...


He said it had something to do with the effect of the rain on his Oakleys, but I think something else was going on. Word is from Speed Merchant Headquarters today, that Harrison caught some kind of bug on the ride on Tuesday. Maybe if he learned how to dress for a rain ride he wouldn't have all these health issues.


Dressed for what weather? This guy will never be chilled from wearing a wet kit. Take note Harrison - that's the perfect rain riding outfit - you are either soaked to the skin, skin soaked, or just skinned. Talk about Specialized!

MORE THERE IS NO-ON-MY-LEFT-NEWS AND VIDEO:  OR DOES THIS SKIN SUIT MAKE MY ASS LOOK FAT?


Over the last two races, at Mad Anthony and Lower Huron, I have been tussling with an Ann Arbor Velo Club rider, passing and re-passing, and you know what I mean. It has been a practical war on wheels between us - almost as exciting as the war between Mothra and Godzilla. Okay, it hasn't been that exciting, but I noticed that the guy (I don't know him) has been rocking a GoPro during the races and I wondered if he was recording our duels for cross racing posterity. Leave it to Adam McIntyre to go out and actually find the video and send them to me. While I was impressed with my mounts and dismounts, the power I showed in these videos makes me think I'd finish ICEMAN in about 2:37:19, 4789 overall, but probably top ten in my age group.

THE BATTLE BEGINS: THAT BISSELL GUY AGAIN



Our racer and videographer puts together a nice compilation of the race, with some running and racing commentary.

THE BATTLE CONTINUES AT THE FORT: STORMING THE BARRIERS



The war of and aging Godzilla and Mothra continues in Detroit. Nice view of the course here - I wasn't thinking of all those drop offs to the side! Yikes! Anyway, thanks Mothra, or Godzilla, or whoever you are! See you this weekend.

Nice weather tonight, I may be out for a nice easy ride to get ready for another weekend of Monster Battles on Cross Bikes. Maybe I'll see you out there - maybe I won't - but enjoy this weather while it lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment