Monday, March 15, 2010

WELCOME BACK ROADIE!

Well it's that time of year again. The time when we begin leaving the shelter of our dark, yet friendly gravel roads and head back onto the unforgiving and harsh world of pavement. This weekend was the first time back on the road for me, and let me tell you it wasn't long before people were letting me know just how much they missed me, along with what they really think about "sharing the road" (hey it's not like I'm taking that much of it people!). Riding down Grand River with a few Bissell guys, a truck goes by with the passenger, a woman, her middle finger firmly pressed against the window. Her husband, behind the wheel, dressed in a chicken suit, was doing the same, I imagine.
Not only were humans hating on cyclists this weekend, so were the animals. I had never seen simian on the loose in Grand Rapids before, but there was one - flipping me off as I rode by him. It's some kind of monkey, or the mayor, I don't know which. I just know they both hate bicyclists.


The final insult was when children in East GR started piling on. Here's some kid outside of Jersey Junction letting me know what he thinks of road riders.

The score so far - three close calls, one near fist fight, and a basket full of middle fingers and car horns. Nasty looks don't count. I get those whether I'm on a bike or not.

1 comment:

  1. That's the nice thing about still riding the SS/cross rig even on the pavement/potholes this time of year. I still don't give a crap about the gravel on the side of the road and if I have to hit the shoulder to avoid a jack-ass, then, whatever. Luckily, I got about 100 miles on the road this weekend, but didn't have near the experience you had. But then again, they might be afraid to hit me due to the damage I'd cause their car... I have quite a bit more mass then you! The worst thing I had was a guy drive so close to me that I swear I got licked by the dude's dog who had his head out the window barking at me as he went by...

    But the daylight lasting until almost 8pm tonight... that was very nice! Just think.... only 9 months until Christmas... or 5.5 months until CX season!

    ReplyDelete